Home YSF » YSF Applications
Key dates for the 18th FEBS YSF
YSF/Congress registration and abstract submission opening: November 17, 2017
YSF application deadline: January 21, 2018
Notifications of YSF award winners: March 5, 2018
18th FEBS YSF: July 4−7, 2018
43rd FEBS Congress: July 7−12, 2018
Support from FEBS
FEBS will provide financial support for participation in the YSF and the ensuing Congress to those selected to take part in the YSF, via YSF grants. YSF grants in 2018 can only be used to support participation in the 18th YSF and 43rd FEBS Congress, and those selected must attend both the YSF and the Congress. Grants will cover registration and accommodation in shared rooms (for both events) and up to 80% of the travel costs to Prague. Awards will only be made to support travel from the applicant’s current country of residence in the FEBS area to Prague. The amount awarded will be based on the distance travelled and the most affordable options.
Eligibility criteria for the 18th FEBS YSF
PhD students and postdoctoral fellows are welcome to submit applications if they fulfil all of the following criteria. Applicants should:
- be up to 35 years of age, except if studies were started later, or were delayed by maternity leave (18 months per child), prolonged illness or other personal reasons
- be registered as a PhD student at an institute of higher learning in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society or be a postdoctoral scientist within five years of having completed a PhD thesis, working in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society
- submit a single abstract to the 18th YSF and 43rd FEBS Congress as first author. Both events should be attended.
- be a member of a FEBS Constituent Society
- have not received a grant from FEBS to attend a YSF in recent years, a FEBS YTF award to attend a FEBS Advanced Course or Workshop in 2018, or a bursary to attend the FEBS Congress in 2018
How to apply
YSF applications are made through the Congress web registration and abstract submission system, which is expected to open in mid November 2017.
- Select the YSF Applicant option, and complete a registration order valued at 0 Euros by entering your details on the registration form and selecting the YSF waiver option
- Submit an abstract as first author to one of the Congress abstract topics (in the 'Posters' track)
- Upload the following supporting documents in a single file during registration:
- Proof of Status: PhD student or post-doctoral scientist within 5 years of receiving a PhD
- Proof of current FEBS Constituent Society membership (scanned copy of current membership certificate/letter from your FEBS Constituent Society)
- Curriculum Vitae, prepared using the FEBS Congress 2018 CV template
- Letter of Motivation, describing reasons why you would benefit from attending the FEBS YSF and the FEBS Congress, in not more than 300 words
- Letter of Recommendation, preferably from your supervisor, not exceeding 300 words
- Proof of Age: a scanned copy of ID showing date of birth (national ID card or passport). Over 35s with special circumstances should upload additional supporting documents.
Until the announcement of YSF evaluation results, YSF applicants' registration/participant status will be held as pending.
N.B. Unsuccessful YSF applicants will be able to switch participant types in the Congress registration system after outcome notifications, and also consider applying for a Congress bursary ahead of the March 8, 2018 bursary application deadline. The same supporting documents can be used for the bursary application.
Application and abstract assessments
Applications to the 18th YSF will be assessed by the 18th YSF Organizing Committee and Chair of the FEBS Working Group on the Careers of Young Scientists. All successful applicants will present their work at the YSF as posters and 1-min talks. In addition, all abstracts of successful applicants will be considered for possible oral presentations of 10–15 min during the YSF program. Outcomes on presentation options are expected to be notified at the time of announcement of YSF award winners.
Abstracts from successful YSF applicants are also included in the ensuing FEBS Congress. If you are interested in oral presentation opportunities at the Congress, please answer 'yes' to a question on this in the abstract submission system. Assessment for this will be carried out by the Congress Organizing Committee and is independent of selection categories at the YSF.